Monday, June 20, 2011

Back to School

My occupation has again rocked our world today as school is back in session!  Launching into my second term of teaching I am excited, apprehensive and now...quite tired!! It always shocks me how tired I get after one day of teaching- I think 'How on Earth will I get through the week?'.  Twenty-six kids on your heels all day is a bit of a handful!

So after a big, but wonderful day, I came home to a little girl who had been alone most of the day- and she has been a defiant little one! Geared up to play all evening!

I learnt something very cool today that I thought was worth sharing!

At puppy school on Sunday we were told to pay attention to our body language when giving our pups a command, as they often pick up on little things we say or do.  With simple things like 'lie down' I move my hand from Stella's nose to the ground.  She needs both signals in order to lie down.

My partner taught Stella to fetch a frisbee very early on, she loves them more than balls, but she doesn't quite get the 'drop' part of the game!  So I have been working on it with two frisbees at a time.  I will throw one to get her to drop the other, as she does I say 'drop'...BUT- maybe she'll start to think that 'drop' means 'run after the frisbee' as by the time I say it she is running.  I thought about what else have I been doing when she drops it....and I realised that I click my tongue all the time without thinking!

So I tested her, and sure enough 80% of the time, down the disc would go and into full border collie hunting mode she would go ready for the next throw- Woo!! Perhaps by the time the original frisbee thrower gets home she will really have it down! Success!

Her first experience with a ball in our house! about 8 and a half weeks.


No comments: